Rock Tech Samples Average of 92.8% Titanium, Iron and Vanadium Oxides at Saint-Urbain
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, September 17, 2009 – Rock Tech Resources Inc. (TSX-Venture: RCK; Frankfurt: RJIA) (the “Company” or “Rock Tech”) is pleased to provide an update on its Saint-Urbain property where results of 63 surface samples indicates an average of 39.8% titanium oxide, 52.6% iron oxide, and 0.4% vanadium oxide totaling 92.8% in massive ilmenite samples.
The sample results from Phase Three of the Geological Fieldwork are found in the following table:
The titanium oxide grades range from 28.0% to 56.5%; the grades for iron oxide range from 36.7% to 61.3%; and vanadium oxide grades range from 0.32% to 0.48%.
A review of previous results from surface samples collected by the Company indicated an average of 0.4% Vanadium Oxide (V2O5). Coupled with the results of Phase Three sampling, there is strong potential of the property as a vanadium exploration area along with titanium and iron oxides.
An updated summary of the exploration work done by the Company in 2008-2009 on its 100% owned Saint-Urbain property is provided as follows:
In August 2008, the Company completed its phase one fieldwork program on the property. The purpose of this program was to develop an exploration plan and define target areas. The assay results received from surface samples of this fieldwork indicated an average of 42.08% Titanium Oxide (TiO2) and 52.73% Iron Oxide (Fe2O3) with a combined average of 94.81% iron and titanium oxides.
Phase Two geological fieldwork and sampling on the property was carried out by the Company in October 2008. Assay results of the surface samples were 34.08% TiO2, and 47.48% Fe2O3, and 0.4% V2O5 with a combined average of 81.96%. This work was carried out to complete a NI 43-101 report on the property.
Phase Three geological fieldwork was carried out in August 2009 as a follow-up to the third phase of its aeromagnetic survey. The assay results indicated average 39.83% TiO2, 52.63% Fe2O3, and 0.41% V2O5, totalling 92.29% titanium, iron, and vanadium oxides.
Airborne Geophysical Survey
The Company completed a total of 2,001 line-kilometres of airborne magnetometer survey on the property in 3 phases. The first phase of the survey was flown on two blocks (called East Block and West Block) in October 2008 totaling 506 line-kilometres. The second phase of the survey was flown on one block (called North Block) in December 2008 totaling 541 line-kilometres. The third phase of the geophysical survey was flown in April-May, 2009 on one block (named South Block) totaling 954 line-kilometres.
Interpretation of the airborne geophysical survey resulted in delineating:
- 19 magnetic targets
- A number of magnetic dykes
- A 9-kilometre long strong magnetic anomaly
- A well developed fault network
- Two geological folds.
Ground Gravity Survey
The ground gravity survey was carried out on two different aeromagnetic anomalies, Target E1-E2 and Target F. A total of one thousand twenty nine (1,029) gravity stations were surveyed during this program. The gravity survey carried out at the Saint-Urbain Titanium and Iron Project was very successful as it led to the detection of six gravity anomalies indicating potential presence of buried heavier masses of rock with densities exceeding 2.67 grams/cubic centimetres.
National Instrument 43-101 Report
An NI 43-101 report was completed on the property and filed on January 9, 2009 with SEDAR (http://sedar.com/DisplayCompanyDocuments.do?lang=EN&issuerNo=00005870). The report concluded that the Saint-Urbain property benefits from favorable geological and historical contexts for discovery of new Hemo Ilmenite deposits. The report recommended a two phase exploration program. Phase One entails extending aeromagnetic survey and completing ground gravity survey on some magnetic anomalies that had already been completed. Phase Two entails drilling 15 holes to a depth of 200 metres each (totaling 3,000 metres) to confirm historical drill results as well as identify new targets.
Company President and CEO, Paul Chow, commented, “The Saint-Urbain titanium, iron and vanadium property is a valuable exploration asset for our Company. We are encouraged with the progress we have made with the three phases of geological work. As we embark on developing and implementing our exploration drill program in the coming year, we are excited about the prospects of corroborating the historical data which shows tremendous potential for titanium and iron oxides. Coupled with our recently announced results from the Kapiwak Lithium Property in James Bay for lithium and other rare earth elements, we believe that we are positioning our Company with a significant portfolio of diversified minerals.“
Technical information in this news release has been reviewed by Afzaal Pirzada, P.Geo., Vice President, Exploration of the Company and a Qualified Person as defined in NI 43-101.
ABOUT SAINT-URBAIN PROPERTY
Rock Tech Resources Inc. is the 100% owner of the Saint Urbain titanium and iron property consisting of 250 claims covering 14,522 hectares in two claim blocks located south of the town of Saint Urbain, Quebec (which is some 100 kilometres north of Quebec City). Historical exploration work on the Eastern Claim Block has intersected ilmenite mineralization in drill holes and identified gravimeter and magnetometer survey anomalies. The Western Claim Block is located adjacent to past producing titanium mines including the Mine Bignell, Mine Coulombe, Bouchard, and Mine General Electric, which produced over 500,000 tonnes of ore.
The property is accessible by road via provincial route 138. The nearest seaport is 11 kilometres to the south on the St. Lawrence Seaway which services ocean going vessels and nearby rail lines for both freight and passenger service. The port is connected to major highway route 362 and railway. Electricity, water and other mining facilities are available locally.
ABOUT TITANIUM AND VANADIUM
Titanium primarily occurs in nature in the form of two primary ores: rutile (TiO2) which is an impure form of titanium; and ilmenite (FeTiO3) which is an iron and titanium oxide. This mineral is valued for its low density, high strength, and excellent resistance to corrosion. Approximately 95% of the ore is used in the production of TiO2 pigment (a fine white powder), used mainly in the paint industry. The remaining 5% of the mined ore is used for the production of titanium metal used in aerospace, defense, heat exchange, medical, desalination plants, and sports industries.
Vanadium is a soft, silvery grey, ductile metal which occurs naturally in about 65 different minerals and in fossil fuel. Approximately 85% of vanadium produced is used as ferrovanadium or as an additive to steel. It stabilizes the beta form of titanium and increases the strength and temperature stability of titanium. Mixed with aluminum in titanium alloys, it is used in jet engines and high-speed airframes. One of the common alloys is Ti 6Al 4V a titanium alloy with 6% aluminum and 4% vanadium. The latest use for vanadium that has emerged is in the making of batteries electric and electric-hybrid cars.
ON BEHALF OF THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS
Director, President and CEO
For more information, please contact:
Paul Chow, President and CEO
Rock Tech Resources Inc.
Suite 400, 789 West Pender Street
Vancouver, B.C., V6C 1H2
Telephone: (604) 688-1140
Disclaimer and Cautionary Statement Regarding Forward-Looking Information
Neither TSX Venture Exchange nor its Regulation Services Provider (as that term is defined in the policies of the TSX Venture Exchange) accepts responsibility for the adequacy or accuracy of this press release. This news release shall not constitute an offer to sell or the solicitation of an offer to buy securities in any jurisdiction.
Except for historical information contained herein, the statements in this News Release may be forward-looking statements. Forward-looking statements involve known and unknown risks and uncertainties, which may cause Rock Tech Resources Inc.’s actual results in future periods to differ materially from forecasted results. These risks and uncertainties include, among other things, volatility of commodity prices, product demand, market competition, and risks inherent in Rock Tech Resources Inc.’s operations. The mineralization reported on the adjacent properties by other operators is not necessarily extending or present on Rock Tech’s property.
Rock Tech Resources Inc. seeks safe harbor.